Monday, July 28, 2008

Make A Meal Monday

I borrowed this idea from Laurie over at Treasure The Little Things. I don't have a pic of the meal for this first one but I wanted to go ahead and share the recipe for the main dish anyway.

I call it "Chicken Gravy over Mashed Potatoes"

If you're familiar with Hawaiian Haystacks then this is basically the same gravy you would use for that. I simplified it though by buying a precooked rotisserie chicken and shredding it. (I got this idea from my sil, who does this for her delicious homemade chicken noodle soup.)

1 rotisserie chicken (I buy the Garlic & Herb seasoned family size for around $6 at Walmart.)

2 cans cream of chicken soup

1 can evaporated milk

1 cup chicken broth

5lbs mashed potatoes


Shred chicken into bite size pieces and set aside while you get the next 3 ingredients all blended together in a pot. Once they are well blended add the chicken and cook over med-low heat stirring occasionally. I keep it simmering while my potatoes are cooking. Serve gravy over mashed potatoes.

I also like to simmer carrots and celery in 1 cup of chicken broth at the same time as the gravy is simmering.

This is enough to feed my family of 6 and then have enough for left overs for the following night. You can adjust to the amount you want.

This has become one of our family's favorite meals. Last night I made homemade rolls to go with it...


DELICIOUS!

I borrowed this recipe from Laurie also.

Lion House Rolls

2 packages of yeast
1/2 cup warm water

1 1/3 cup milk, scalded and cooled
2 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 cups flour

Combine 2 packages yeast and 1/2 cup warm water and set aside. In large mixing bowl combine remaining ingredients, mix until smooth. Stir in yeast. Add 3 cups flour and mix, knead until smooth and no longer sticky (you may need more flour). Place dough in greased bowl, cover with towel and set in warm place to raise until double in size (about 1 hour). Roll out and shape rolls, place on greased baking sheet.(for extra flavor, melt 1/2 stick of butter and pour onto baking sheet before placing shaped rolls) Cover rolls with towel and raise for 30 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. Brush tops with melted butter,remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.

Try them out. They are both great recipes! ENJOY!

5 comments:

Leslie said...

I havnt had the rolls but I have had the chicken gravey over potatos and it was good.

Jeremy said...

I like your new background but I need the coolest blog on the block not cutest so hook a brother up already!!!

Saint Holiday said...

Princess!
My hens are very upset with you. They went to the Catchatorium very distressed this evening after reading your recipe. I've had to console them several times already because of nightmares. I've told them that you really use soy chicken and not that genuine, dead, decomposing, muscle tissue from murdered poultry that is sold in supermarkets. I don't think they believed me. I hope you will use a little more discretion in the future before posting one of your carnivorous recipes. Maybe, in time, you and the hens can be reconciled.

Love,
Chef Boy O Boy

Laurie said...

MMM, sounds so yummy. I'll have to try this. Your rolls look delicious. I love the star shapes!

Jenna said...

Forgive my father. He's nuts.

Your rolls look amazing! I make something very similar to this chicken and gravy, but I've alway served it over rice. It's one of my kids' favorite recipes. I suddenly am craving it! Cool post!