Monday, August 18, 2008

Make A Meal Monday...& other Randomness...


Last night for dinner I made some chicken cordon bleu. Yum! For sides we had corn on the cob and noodles in alfredo sauce. Here's how I made the Chicken cordon bleu...

-15 chicken breast tenders rinsed and tendons removed.
-Sliced swiss cheese cut into thirds. (to fit the tenders better)
-Sliced ham cut down to right size. (deli or prepackaged works great!)

1/2 C flour
1-2 Cups bread crumbs
2 eggs; beaten
1-2 TBSP Italian Herb seasoning (I use the grill creations brand)
1/2-1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
butter

1/2 C chicken broth
1 C whipping cream

Combine bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, Salt & pepper. (It took me about 1.5 cups of bread crumbs for all 15 tenders. Adjust as necessary.) Set aside.

Place tenders between 2 sheets of saran wrap and flatten with a meat mallet. (I don't have a meat mallet but a hammer, wrapped in saran wrap, worked just as well.)
Place one slice of swiss cheese, followed by 1 slice of ham, on each tender.
Roll up tenders jelly roll style. Cover each in flour, shaking off excess, then in egg and finally in the bread crumb mixture. Secure with toothpick and place seam side down in a baking dish that has been sprayed w/cooking spray. (foil lined cookie sheet, sprayed w/cooking spray works too) Stick a thin slice of butter on top of each tender. (I stick it over the toothpick...that helps to hold it in place while it melts.) Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes, or until juices run clear.

Meanwhile...

For the sauce, Combine broth & whipping cream in a small saucepan. Season to taste(salt, pepper, garlic, oregano). Simmer on low stirring until thickened. Pour over chicken.

My family loved this. Including the noodles and corn on the cob. For the noodles, I just used the Alfredo flavored Lipton noodles.

************************


In other news....

Last week I was kept fairly busy. I attended a scrapbook class on Tuesday night, that my mom and sister insisted I sign up for. It was fun. Sadly the pages we put together are still pictureless. Seems to be the story of my scrapbooking life! Although...I did finally get one page completed that I had started back in February...


And I started & completed one other page in 1 day...which for me is saying alot!...

I really do enjoy scrapbooking, but, I have to be very willing to commit a full day to get anything accomplished. Thus, I don't scrapbook as often as I'd like.

Thursday and Friday last week I spent watching a friend of mine's little girls while she is out of town and her husband is at work during the day. For most of the day, I just had her 1 & 4 yr olds. And after school, her 7 yr old. I will have them again tomorrow, and then she will be back in town. I'm glad that I've been able to help her out.

Since I didn't really have much else to do on Thursday, I decided that'd be a good time to start reading Twilight. I borrowed it from my sister, who I hadn't realized was also engrossed in the series. I know she likes to read, so I should have naturally assumed that, but maybe she knows me well enough to know that it wouldn't make sense to talk "books" with me, being that I'm not much of a reader myself.

Anyway, after all the hype that I've been reading in blogs about this particular series, I finally decided I needed to see for myself what all the excitement was about. Now, again, being that I'm not much of a reader, I wasn't going to run out and buy them because there was a good chance they'd just sit on my shelf for forever, collecting dust. I did ask my sister first, if by chance she was reading them, and as it turned out, she had just finished reading Breaking Dawn, so she was happy to lend me the first book. I figured I'd only take that one, to see if I ever even cracked it open, rather than storing all her books!

To my surprise, I got into it very easily and spent the entire day reading. A book of that size can be overwhelming to a person such as myself. Having 498 pages, I got to 195 or thereabouts. I was busy with other things Friday and then the weekend didn't leave much time to read, but I do plan to have it finished by the end of this week.

Saturday, after the kids had used up all the bread I'd bought for lunches this week, making toast, and being that we're on a very tight budget at the moment, I opted to buy some whole wheat flour and bake some homemade bread. I only made one loaf at first, to make sure I would like the recipe I'd found. It was good. Sadly I didn't take any pictures, but I'm sure there will be more bread in the near future that I can get pictures of.

This week, aside from reading, I plan on getting a few things listed on ebay. I pulled out our box of dollhouse people and furniture this morning and started sorting through. I sold the dollhouse at a yardsale a couple weeks ago, for $10. I didn't want to have to deal with shipping that. The people by themselves sell fairly well though and I can find boxes big enough for those. I also need to bring in our box of Little People people and get those listed too. We'll see how it all goes.

We somehow seem to have attracted a stray cat. It came around yesterday and the kids spent 1/2 the day at the front door giving it water, milk, and finally a bowl of tuna. Other than the fact that they were cooling down our front porch with our AC, it really didn't bother me too much. I used to lure stray cats home when I was about my kids' ages. Not that I want them trying the same thing. We aren't supposed to have pets... It showed up again this morning. What was I supposed to do? Leave it be? I took it a bowl of milk. It looks like it's got a tummy full of babies...I couldn't resist. Of course, it could be that we're not the only house it "frequents"...maybe it makes its rounds getting food from several houses. We're like the tables at Costco...

Anyway, I hope everyone has a fabulous week!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I really like your valentines day page.

Maybe Wednesday or Thursday you should come over here and spend the day crafting..that way you wont get distracted.

And then if we do have to go use some of Tanyas stuff then we are too terribly far away.

But, I am going to go get some letters either...FALL or THANKS. I am not sure which. But I would like to work on those.

annelise said...

I'm so sorry about Thursday, I did come and went to the wrong house, I did not have your new address so I could not find it, your car was not in the drive way, so I was lost. Sunday I had a busy time at church, tell you some time, so I could not talk to you. I called on Thursday trying to find your house and the number i had said it was disconected. I'll talk to you when you come and them I'll try to schedule another day.
hugs
Carmen

Jenna said...

Your pages are beautiful! Works of art! And dinner sounds so good! True comfort food. If you like your bread recipe, you should post it. I like trying new bread recipes for wheat bread.