Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tis the season...

...to be super busy!

Ok, so after I typed that title it suddenly sounded like something I'd said before. So I had to go back and sure enough, it was the same way I started my first blog post in December last year. I guess I'm pretty boring!

S'anyway...Thanksgiving was nice. I didn't get any pictures though. Boohoo!

Thursday morning I got up bright and early and went down to the high school for a Turkey Trot that a girl from the ward was putting together. I did a total of 11 laps. Ran 7, walked 4. I would have stayed to do more, but I needed to get home to put a turkey in the oven.

The turkey turned out soo good! I don't like to brag, but even my younger brother went on about how good it was. First, I cut through the skin on the breast side of the turkey and slid some real butter inside between the skin and the meat. I used salt, pepper, onion powder, thyme, and rosemary to season both sides of the turkey, as well as the inside and then I tossed a cube of butter into the inside. I cooked it in one of those foil turkey pans and used another one as a cover. I left the cover on for about 2/3's of the cooking time and then removed it so the breast could brown. During the last 1/3 of the time, I basted it every so often with the juices from the bottom of the pan. I think in all it cooked about 4 hours at 325°. Soo yummy! To round out the rest of the meal, we had mashed potatoes w/gravy, homemade rolls, corn, olives (black & green), pickles, and fruit salad (which was also soo good!) I did a really good job of making sure I wasn't dishing up too much for myself. My mom made pecan & cherry pies & I supplied a pumpkin pie. (which I waited over an hour at Costco for them to finish making them. They were selling out faster than they could cook them!)

We got our Christmas tree up Thursday evening. The kids did a great job decorating the tree. I was busy cleaning up from our feast.

Friday morning Josiah and I got up at 4am to start our BF shopping. We were out the door by 20 to 5 and in line at Target by quarter to 5. We weren't terribly thrilled with their ad, but they did have a few things that we wanted to grab. So we stood in line for an hour and 15 minutes to get inside (they didn't open til 6) and then waited another 45 minutes in line to checkout. It was insane!

After that we headed over to Penneys to get Josiah a suit. They had them marked 60% off as a doorbuster special. That was pretty lucky. I hadn't expected that so it was a nice surprise. We got what we needed and then headed over to the Children's Place which was having a sale plus an additional 20% off your entire purchase. AWESOME!

I'm pretty pleased with what we've gotten so far. It isn't too much and really we just need to get a few more things and then we'll be done. YAY! Now if I can just find time to do everything that I want to do before the month is over...

There is so much going on that I'm not sure when I'm going to squeeze in getting a family picture done. I would much rather have my sister-in-law take them than go and pay out the nose at a studio, but her anniversary is this Saturday and that's about the only time that would work for me, before it gets too late. Ugh! What do I do?! (Leslie, feel free to comment about this... :D)

This week I have preschool at my house. I canceled for yesterday because I kept my kids home from school. Alyssa was the only one who was actually sick but it was easier to just keep them all home. I'm a bad mom, I know! We ended up putting up some lights outside which they had been begging us about since Thanksgiving day! We still need to get some replacement icicle lights to go around the house though. We'll see if that happens before Christmas.

I did hold den meeting last night though, for what it was worth. I am hoping to take them on a field trip on the 13th to the Mesa Historical Museum. I need to come up with some sort of game that they can play while we are there...something like, things they need to look for. Or something along those lines. We took the boys that were in it last year and it was a nightmare. They didn't have anything to keep them busy, so they ran around. I want to go again because it goes along with the section we're working on, and it's a different group of boys of course. We'll see how it goes.

Ward Christmas party this Saturday evening.

I have a scrapbook class on the 9th.

The girls piano recital on the 11th.

Josiah's work party on the evening of the 13th.

My family's Christmas party Sunday the 14th.

Alyssa has a choir concert sometime in the next couple weeks and of course I threw away the paper that had the date. Hopefully she remembers to ask her teacher.

There are several other things I want to get done. Holiday baking, a few Christmas crafts, Christmas cards, Temple lights, etc. So much to do, so little time!

I suppose none of it will get done while I'm sitting at the computer! Until next time...

4 comments:

Abby said...

Busy busy! It's a nice kind of cozy busy though (because everything's cozy when it comes to Christmas!). You should do a small video of Alyssa's concert. Her aunt who was always always in choir would love to see it!

Jenna said...

The older the kids get, the busier the season gets, for sure. But it's all good. It was so great spending the afternoon with you over the weekend. The house looks great with all the decorations up, and the kids (and their kittens) are so cute! Love you!

YogaNana said...

And someday you'll say, "Oh, those were the days!" As Abby says, all cozy-busy!

lundgrenville said...

The holidays always seems so busy...but when those evenings with family and friends arise, it makes it all worth it :)