Thursday, April 10, 2008

Hmmmm....

.....what to say....

Not much has been going on. We watched all but the afternoon session of conference last weekend. We haven't done that well in quite some time. We usually skip both on Saturday and are lucky to catch atleast the beginning of the 1st session on Sunday. I really felt the desire and need to watch it this time and I'm really glad we did. I love President Monson! I always have.

This week is my week to help out with preschool. Not at my house fortunately, but I will have my last week of the school year the first full week of May. I will be so very glad when it's over with. Mostly just because of the hassle of getting the boys to it when I usually don't have a car. I hate bothering people to pick them up.

Tuesday night Leslie and I made some strawberry jam. YUM! We made about 24 or so jars of it and are planning to finish it all up tomorrow night. My mom used to make jam when I was a kid, but it was something I never picked up on or was taught or whatever. I think we were usually told to "stay out of the kitchen" when anything like that was going on. I do remember her sitting in there usually reading a book while she waited for things to be ready. I'm glad that I have been given the chance to learn how to do this and hopefully it will be something I can teach my girls.

Last night we attended my little brother's Eagle Court of Honor. I didn't notice that anything was wrong with it but according to Josiah and my brother, Christopher, it was poorly done. I guess they didn't put enough preparation into it and just threw it together. I thought it was pretty cool though...according to statistics, only about 2% of the boys that enter the Scouting program actually make it to the rank of an Eagle Scout. There were 5 boys there last night recieving them.

So I've missed the last 3 nights for our wards "jogging club" due to my week that I had last week and then the fact that I was making jam so late in the evening with Leslie on Tuesday night. But I'm hoping to make it again tonight. I enjoyed it the first night they did it. I enjoy visiting and getting to know better the ladies in my ward.

Our lease here ends at the end of June. It's been on my mind alot lately. In January, I had really been wanting to move because I was having a hard time with the people we are renting through as well as the owner. Although, since they hired some people to maintain the yard for us, we aren't having the issues that we were before. I was really worried before that they wouldn't want us to renew or let us. I still don't know if they will, but I figure if they do, they will more than likely raise the price, since they had no problem doing it after our first lease was up and then again 6 months later after the 2nd lease was up. They raised it about $125 in 6 months time! And then right after Christmas, they raised it another $85 so they could hire some yard maintenance people. I don't know if I want to deal with that again. I know we could get into another rental in the neighborhood for cheaper than we are paying now, but do I want to deal with moving? Ugh!! Sometimes being a grown-up just really bites! I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

The weekend is just around the corner! YAY! Hope everyone has a great one!

5 comments:

Leslie said...

I thought I had already left a comment but apparently I am brain dead and didnt actually publish it.

It's funny to hear you say..."little brother" since he is bigger than you...I guess a few years ago he was littler than you...

Anyway, I am going to make some bread tonight...and try our jam out on it. If its good I will bring you a loaf over and your jam so you can have some too...If not I guess you can get your jam tomorrow...or whatever!!

Hannah said...

24 jars!!!??? Wow! I'd love to learn how to make jam. Sounds really yummy.

You'd think with the way housing is right now, they might even think about lowering it a smidge for you guys. I mean I don't know what you guys pay, but if you were to move, I highly doubt they'd be able to find a renter to pay as much as you are.

Scrappie Mom said...

You certainly are right about the Court of Honor. It wasn't done right. I guess I jumped the gun with being released. Oh, well, it's water under the bridge now. I'm just glad it's over.

Crazymamaof6 said...

whoohoo on making Jam. seems like everyone is this week. SO COOL! dod you make freezer jam? or cooked jam?
i am the get outta the kitchen kind of mom. someday when they are teenagers, Or newlyweds, i'll pass on the skill.

Eagle courts of honor. are interesting. every ward is different. and it depends on the leaders.

OH no good on raising the rent, i bet if you told them you won't pay more. and you'll move out. they will kiss up to you and do something to keep you. they should be loving you, at least their house isn't sitting vacant in this market, they are lucky to have you!

moving is NO FUN!
but maybe if you shopped around you could find a cheaper place to rent in your same area. MAYBE. extra money could never hurt?

Jenna said...

Jam! We did that with the YW last year. So yummy!

I hate renters' stress. We have that too. I wish we were rich and could just buy something instead of throwing all this money away.